ON DEMAND RECORDING Samuel Untermyer: Forgotten Hero
View this presentation ON DEMAND. Once you register, you will download a document containing the link to view the video online.
Samuel Untermyer (1858-1940) was a member of New York’s German-Jewish elite. A brilliant lawyer and investor, he was also a leading progressive figure in the last thirty years of his life and an advocate for some of the major causes of the 20th century.
- A trustbuster and economic reformer, he was a leading architect of the Federal Reserve Act
- An ardent “Suffragent,” he campaigned for the woman’s right to vote
- He represented Herman Bernstein and won his libel suit against Henry Ford, exposing his virulent anti-Semitism
- He successfully argued to save the nickel subway fare and exposed corruption in the New York City building industry
- As president of the Keren Hayesod, he supported the peaceful Jewish settlement of Palestine and the creation of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- He welcomed Albert Einstein to New York, introduced him to influential figures, and became his close friend
- He was one of the earliest leaders to fight against Nazism and led an international boycott effort
Against this backdrop, Untermyer had another passionate interest: his 150-acre estate above the Hudson River in Yonkers where he sought to create the finest garden in the world with the help of William Welles Bosworth, who had designed the gardens at Kykuit, the Rockefeller family estate. The lecture will conclude with images of the garden’s evolution—from its heyday in the 1920s and 30s, its descent into ruin in the 1960s and 70s, and its spectacular restoration by the Conservancy, which has revived interest in the historical figure of Samuel Untermyer.
Our website uses PayPal as a payment processor. You do not need to have or create a PayPal account to check out.
1. When you get to the PayPal screen you will be offered two options: either log in to your own PayPal account or press the button at the bottom: "Pay with Debit Card or Credit Card." Please select "Pay with Debit Card or Credit Card" if you do not have a PayPal account or do not wish to use your PayPal account.
2. If you do not want to create a PayPal account, after entering your credit card information on the second screen, you can click “continue as Guest” below the blue button “Create Account & Continue.”