The Rock and Stream Garden
In Untermyer's era, the Rock Garden was a naturalistic tumble of stones flanking a tiny stream running through it. Buried under soil and vegetation for years, it was uncovered due to the work of gardener Timothy Tilghman and the Yonkers Parks Department crew. Stone paths wind uphill, crossing the stream several times on rock bridges. A small seating area with a curved stone bench sits partway up the hill. There are many views of it from the 1930s in the Smithsonian archives.
This garden has been rebuilt as the Rock and Stream Garden, incorporating elements from Samuel Untermyer’s garden in the 1930’s, and extending it to the lower basin of the Temple of Love. Its source is a vernal pool at the top, followed by a stone throne, an island for sitting based on similar features in Mughal gardens. Various other stone bridges, waterfalls and seating enrich a lively and rustic garden feature which complements the nearby Temple of Love.